Golder Associates Geotechnical Engineer in BOURNE END, United Kingdom
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Golder has a new opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Mine Waste Global Mining Team on a full-time basis based in Bourne End.
The Geotechnical Engineer will provide support to the Mine Waste team in the field of mine waste disposal (including tailings), seismic assessments and related geotechnical work associated with mine infrastructure facilities.
Working predominantly on projects concerned with the assessment, interpretation and design of mine waste disposal facilities, this individual will support a variety of multi-disciplinary teams on due diligence, conceptual, feasibility and other consulting work in geotechnical engineering, mining and other projects.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
· Provide project coordination and task management on a range of mining projects primarily concerned with mine waste management, including tailings disposal and geotechnical field investigations;
· Work collaboratively with and support senior engineers on projects including scoping, pre-feasibility, definitive feasibility studies as well as detailed design, and monitoring of tailings management facilities;
· Plan and conduct geotechnical field investigations, which will regularly involve site work including UK and international travel, e.g. supervising soils investigation programmes on a rotational basis. The work may also include preparation of accurate geotechnical and testing records, interpretation and reporting of field results, often in remote/overseas locations and undertaking a range of in situ geotechnical testing and sampling programmes;
· Support a range of geotechnical programmes and studies whilst developing an understanding of the interaction of such measures on the geotechnical, civil and mine site engineering requirements;
· Assist in the development of geotechnical testing programmes appropriate to soil mechanics investigations for mine waste disposal studies;
· Achieve and maintain a chargeability to be agreed with your People Manager and reviewed annually or as determined by specific business need;
· Support Project Managers / Directors in business development, proposals and administrative tasks;
· Develop and maintain good relationships with new and existing clients: maintain regular contact and effectively represent Golder on site;
· Actively participate in the development of budgets and plans for projects, while developing an understanding of budgetary control;
· Be recognised as a mentor and role model for junior employees, offering motivation and encouragement to achieve results;
· Train and mentor junior team members, and client engineers and geologists as appropriate, in industry best practice;
· Work in a collaborative way, taking direction from and supporting intermediate and senior staff, to achieve project goals and meet deadlines as part of the Global Mining Group;
· Display a ‘safety first’ attitude in line with an interdependent health and safety culture, promote positive health and safety, raise safety issues through the appropriate channels and adhere to Golder health and safety policy and procedures;
· Act in the spirit of Golder’s values. Adhere to the Code of Conduct at all times and raise concerns as appropriate. Regularly familiarise self with the Code of Conduct and how it is applicable to own role/position within Golder;
· Ensure actions and behaviours are aligned to Golder’s Equality Policy at all times; and
· Project based travel and site work, working away both in Ireland and overseas. The frequency and duration of this will depend on business and client needs.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience:
· MEng or MSc level within civil engineering, geotechnical engineering or related subject with an emphasis on soil mechanics;
· Commitment to professional development and becoming chartered with relevant professional body;
· Demonstrable relevant experience;
· Excellent communication skills, verbal and written (in English);
· Strong technical writing ability and reporting skills;
· Flexibility and adaptability;
· A genuine enthusiasm for the role, displaying a willingness to learn and develop;
· Ability to and demonstrated experience of working in a collaborative manner as part of a team;
· Ability to make decisions and display initiative;
· Good organisational ability and time management skills;
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Full UK Driving Licence; and
· Willingness and ability to travel both within the UK and internationally.
· Some post-qualification civil and/or geotechnical experience in a relevant industry;
· Experience in mine waste disposal; and
· Additional language skills.
Strong project management: able to breakdown problems into manageable size, ability to manage scope
Understands project context: can connect the following; tasks, project, report and client need
Effective delegation: assignment, communication, sets clear expectations, checks-in, identifies parameters/constraints to achieve tasks
Technical excellence: has sound knowledge in technical discipline, actively expands their technical knowledge
Ownership attitude: aware of fiscal responsibility, proactively works within budget (cost or time), willing to shoulder more responsibility
Strong writing skills: understands what is important to both Golder and the client, identifies key messages – sorts the wheat from the chaff
Good judgement: awareness and understanding of risk and liabilities – knows their limits
Good problem solver: anticipates problems and solves them
Client focused (includes internal clients): starting to develop strong client relationships and ability to cross-sell
Business focused: beginning to approach problems from a business perspective
Leadership: sets a good example, is a role model, able to lead small teams and/or projects
Your benefits at Golder will include:
· Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
· Option to purchase shares in Golder
· Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
· Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
· Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
· On the job training, mentoring and coaching
· Global projects and travel opportunities
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder’s 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder is an Equal Opportunity Employer
*Title: *Geotechnical Engineer**
*Location: *GBR-BOURNE END**
*Requisition ID: *18002496**