Golder Associates Geotechnical Field Technician/Technologist in OTTAWA, Ontario
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for a Geotechnical Field Technician/Technologist to join our East Canada Geotechnical team on a full-time basis based in Ottawa. You will focus on technical assistance in geotechnical field investigations and tasks including carrying out supervision of geotechnical drilling programs, site reconnaissance, field investigations, and assisting with the preparation of technical reports. You will interact with Golder staff including field technicians and technologists, administrative and professional staff, as well as some clients.
While the primary focus will be on geotechnical projects related to the infrastructure sector within Ottawa, opportunities will exist to work with other groups within this multidisciplinary office, as well as other Golder offices in Eastern Canada and elsewhere.
An overview of your role will include:
· Carrying out fieldwork for subsurface investigations including layout, supervising drill rigs and/or coring contractors, logging boreholes/cores and test pits, site surveying to determine elevations at specific locations using GPS equipment, sampling soil and ground water, and detailed site sketches
· Ensuring proper care, handling, and storage of test samples and various chemical products are used in laboratory testing
· Following Health and Safety responsibilities, under all applicable government legislations and Golder policies and procedures
· Logging and handling of test samples
· Entering test data and producing standard test reports
· Using specialized equipment and apparatus to prepare analyses, reports, and/or technical drawings
· Summarizing and analyzing findings from investigations and lab testing for report writing
You will have the following background and attributes:
· Civil/Geotechnical Engineering Technician/Technologist Diploma or Degree
· 5 years of previous experience working as a Field Technician or Technologist
· Familiarity with Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO), American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM), and Ontario Provincial Standards and Specifications (OPSS) test procedures and requirements, and local municipal standards and specifications an asset
· Experience supervising complex geotechnical drilling investigations
· Willingness to travel short term to complete out of town field investigations
· Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
· Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office and general computer usage
· Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
· Strong people skills and an ability to work in a team environment
· Detail oriented with emphasis on safety and quality of work
· Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
· Demonstrating a “Safety First” focus and acting as a role model to other staff
· Maintaining a high standard of behaviour to uphold Golder’s reputation and demonstrating a commitment to our Core Values
Your benefits at Golder will include:
· Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
· Option to purchase shares in Golder
· Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
· Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
· Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
· On the job training, mentoring and coaching
· Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 11 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder’s 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals. As such, Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder at https://vimeo.com/252065645 video.
Title: Geotechnical Field Technician/Technologist
Requisition ID: 18001374