Golder Associates Junior Coastal Engineer in VANCOUVER, British Columbia
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for a Junior Coastal Engineer to join our Environmental Remediation & Water team on a 12-month contract based in Vancouver. As a Junior Coastal Engineer, you will be expected to step into a technical support role for coastal engineering projects in BC, across Canada and internationally. You will join a growing Water Resources & Coastal Engineering Team based in Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary and Mississauga that services projects in Oil & Gas, Mining, Transportation, Power and Government sectors.
An overview of your role will include:
· Assisting with data analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of marine and coastal processes (waves, currents, water levels, sediment transport) and forces interacting with engineered structures in support of engineering and environmental considerations for planning and design on large and small coastal projects
· Assisting with preparation of technical documents (reports, drawings, specifications) documenting engineering and environmental investigations, results, and analyses
· Application of state-of-the-art coastal engineering methods to address problems related to natural coastal hazards (e.g. flooding, erosion, sedimentation) and human interactions (spills, coastal structures, dredging and beneficial use, materials management) in the context of climate change and variability
· Conducting field work involving site visits and data collection in coastal and offshore environments (international travel may be required). This may include the deployment of oceanographic instruments, site reconnaissance, and condition inspection of coastal and harbour structures
· Engaging and interacting with other team members in a multi-disciplinary team
You will have a background in:
· University degree (preferably Master’s or Ph.D. in coastal, port or ocean engineering)
· Eligibility for professional registration as an Engineer-in-Training in British Columbia as a Civil Hydrotechnical Engineer or proven eligibility for Professional registration in Canada
· The ability to conduct independent analysis, develop visualizations, and interpret complex physical processes by analyzing geospatial time series data. Skills in MATLAB, Python or another scripting language
· The ability to develop and apply numerical models for the simulation of waves, currents, sediment transport, and morphology change in open coast, inlet, and estuarine environments
· Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and demonstrated teamwork skills
· Knowledge of oceanographic and meteorological instrumentation
· Familiarity with engineering calculations for coastal engineering design and/or skills in hydraulic analysis including coastal engineering or coastal processes modelling software is an asset
Your benefits at Golder will include:
· Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
· Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
· Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
· On the job training, mentoring and coaching
· Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 11 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder’s 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals. As such, Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder at https://vimeo.com/252065645 video.
*Title: *Junior Coastal Engineer**
*Requisition ID: *19000385**