Golder Associates Intermediate Environmental Field Technician in VICTORIA, British Columbia
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for an Intermediate Environmental Field Technician to join our Environmental Remediation & Water team on a full-time basis based in Victoria . The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing field work related to marine and upland environmental investigations and environmental monitoring during remediation and remedial dredging. It is expected the candidate will be self-motivated and will demonstrate strong time management and communication skills.
An overview of your role will include:
· Preparing and adhering to site-specific health and safety plans to mitigate or eliminate risks to you, Golder’s clients, employees, and the public.
· Participating in field programs (e.g. environmental monitoring, surface and groundwater monitoring, sediment sampling and coring, soil sampling, soil vapour sampling)
· Supervising junior technicians
· Equipment calibration, maintenance, and repair
· Willingness to perform physically demanding work in various weather conditions
· Preparing and coordinating project documentation, subcontractors, and equipment for field programs
· Maintaining excellent field notes and collecting and handling water, sediment, and soil samples
· Supervising subcontractors for ground disturbance and utility location, surveying, borehole drilling, sediment vibracoring, surface water sampling, groundwater monitoring, well installation, and test pit excavation
· Overseeing remedial contractors including monitoring compliance against environmental protection plans, directing remedial excavations, maintaining waste tracking, and daily/weekly progress reporting
· Filing and managing all project related field notes including some data entry and assistance with report preparation
· Performing and recording work tasks as requested efficiently and accurately while adhering to current industry standards and regulatory requirements
· Assisting with report preparation
You will have a background in:
· Technical diploma in environmental sciences and professionally registered with Applied Science Technologists, Technicians of BC, and/or College of Applied Biology
· A proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is required
· Strong awareness of health and safety issues and a safety conscious attitude
· A positive and enthusiastic attitude, willingness to learn, and the ability to work with little supervision
· A minimum of five years of experience in environmental monitoring and/or marine/upland contaminated site assessments
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, with particular attention to detail and accuracy of field notes
· A valid driver’s license
· Previous experience with surface water, groundwater, sediment, soil, and soil vapour sampling is an asset
· Working knowledge and proficiency in the use of basic field navigation and survey equipment such as GPS, compass, water quality meters, gas monitors, etc.
Your benefits at Golder will include:
· Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
· Option to purchase shares in Golder
· Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
· Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
· Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
· On the job training, mentoring and coaching
· Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 11 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 40 countries, Golder’s 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals. As such, Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder at https://vimeo.com/252065645 video.
*Title: *Intermediate Environmental Field Technician**
*Requisition ID: *18002080**